01/14/2013 11:00 AM
Photo By Greg Hamil
Rockford earns 4 points during Week 14
Week 14 Results:
Wednesday, Jan. 9: Grand Rapids 6 vs. Rockford 3
Friday, Jan. 11: Grand Rapids 2 vs. Rockford 5
Saturday, Jan. 12: Rockford 2 at Milwaukee 1 OT
Week 15 Schedule:
Friday, Jan. 18 vs. Peoria, 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 19 vs. Grand Rapids, 7:05 p.m.
Week 14 Recap:
Facing a pair of divisional opponents during Week 14, a third period surge on Friday against Grand Rapids and overtime heroics on Saturday at Milwaukee helped spark the IceHogs to victories over the Midwest Division foes and out of a four-game losing streak. The Hogs hit the midway mark of the season holding a record of 19-17-1-1. Rockford will go up against two Midwest Division squads once again during Week 15 when they host Peoria and Grand Rapids at the BMO Harris Bank Center.
- Rookie winger Brandon Saad notched an IceHogs single-game high four points (1g-3a) in Rockford’s 5-2 win over Grand Rapids on Friday
- The four points tied an IceHogs single-game rookie record last accomplished by Jack Skille on 3/9/08 vs. Iowa (3g-1a)
- Saad then came back on Saturday and added a goal and an assist, including the overtime game winner in Rockford’s 2-1 win over Milwaukee
- Jeremy Morin has a goal in three-straight games, one game shy of the IceHogs season high
- Brandon Pirri attempted Rockford’s third penalty shot of the season on Saturday in Milwaukee, most in the AHL
- The Hogs have failed to convert on all three penalty shot attempts and are now 2-16 (12.5%) on penalty shots during the AHL era
- After allowing a power-play goal in seven straight games (9-37, 24.3%), Rockford has held their opponents off the board on the advantage over the past two contests (0-13)
- The IceHogs open a season-high five game homestand on Friday that runs into the AHL All-Star Break
- After starting the season 1-6-0-1 against Midwest Division opponents this season, Rockford is 8-4-1-0 in 13 games since against its own division
- Rockford hits the halfway mark of 2012-13 with a record of 19-17-1-1 (40 points), eight points better than last season when the team was 14-20-1-3 (32 points) through 38 games
- After becoming the first team to reach 100 short-handed situations on Nov. 23, Rockford became the first AHL team to reach 200 penalty kills on Saturday, 73 more than the Chicago Wolves, who have the fewest in the AHL
- IceHogs goalie Carter Hutton is tied for fifth in the AHL with 15 wins, second in losses (14), third in minutes (1762:40), and second in saves (784)
Hot Hog: Week 14
Brandon Saad Left Wing
Rookie winger Brandon Saad had a breakout weekend during Week 14, notching the game-winning goal in both contests and racking up six points. After getting held without a point on Wednesday against Grand Rapids, Saad came back against the Griffins and led the Hogs to a 5-2 win on Friday. The Pittsburgh, Penn. native accumulated a goal and three assists in the win for an IceHogs season-high four points and garnered the #1 star of the game. Saad came back on Saturday and put up a goal and an assist, including the overtime game-winning marker, in Rockford’s 2-1 OT victory in Milwaukee over the Admirals.
Friday, Jan. 18 vs. Peoria Rivermen: The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. as the IceHogs and Rivermen duel for the first time since Nov. 21 in an Illinois Lottery Cup matchup. The two squads won’t meet again until February when they faceoff three times at Peoria’s Carver Arena.
Saturday, Jan. 19 vs. Grand Rapids Griffins: Gametime is slated for 7:05 p.m. between the Hogs and Griffins. The IceHogs host their 4th annual Pink in the Rink night as they don special pink jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game. The ice surface will also be painted pink. The first 5,000 fans through the gates will receive pink rally towels compliments of Dickerson & Nieman Realtors, Ferrellgas, Metropolitan Title Agency and Rasmussen College.
Bud Light Hog Talk Back Tonight:
Bud Light Hog Talk returns tonight to Onyx Bar and Grill from 6-7 p.m. Onyx is located at 1001 West Lane Road in Machesney Park. Fans can join Slavko Bekovic from 6-7 p.m. most Mondays as he chats with IceHogs players, coaches and front office members. This week’s guests are IceHogs defensemen Dylan Olsen and Ben Youds and Assistant Coach Ben Simon. Take advantage of food and Bud Light specials at Onyx. The show will be re-aired on Tuesdays from 7-8 p.m. on 23.2 Antenna TV.
The IceHogs Broadcasting Network:
Catch every IceHogs game, home and road, in 2012-13 on 23.2 Antenna TV. The games can also be viewed on Comcast cable channel-436, Charter cable channel-970 or Mediacom-101 in the Rockford market and online through AHLlive.com. Every game will be streamed through IceHogs.com as well and inside the BMO Harris Bank Center on 104.3 FM. For a complete listing of TV stations carrying IceHogs games, visit IceHogs.com. Every broadcast will start with the U.S. Cellular Pregame before Mike Peck calls the action.
Tickets On Sale for 2012-2013!
IceHogs individual game tickets are on sale! Call (815) 968-5222 to reserve your seats for any IceHogs regular season game during the 2012-13 season. Tickets can also be purchased in person at the BMO Harris Bank Center Box Office in downtown Rockford, any Ticketmaster outlet or on the web at www.IceHogs.com. Tickets start at just $7.