04/30/2009 4:41 PM
- From chicagoblackhawks.com: (link)
Mayor Richard M. Daley today wagered a package of food and drink products from Chicago companies that the Blackhawks will defeat the Vancouver Canucks in the Western Conference semi-final playoffs that begin tonight.
“This is a great time to be a sports fan in Chicago,” Daley said in a City Hall news conference. “For the first time since 2002, the Blackhawks are in post-season play in the National Hockey League.”
The Mayor said this has already been a great season for the Hawks: they finished the season with 104 points – sixth best in the league -- brought excitement back to the United Center in hockey season and set an all-time franchise attendance record in the process.
“This is a young and exciting team and they play with a lot of confidence,” Daley said.“Well, I have a lot of confidence in them and to show how confident I am, I’m making a friendly wager on the series with Mayor Gregor Robertson. We’ve puttogether a package of Chicago products that includes just about everything anyone needs to enjoy a Hawks’ win,” he said.
Chicago is wagering:
- A case of franks, a case of jumbo franks and a case of Polish Sausage from Red Hot Chicago
- Two bottles of red Sangria and two bottle of Red Zinfandel from the Glunz Family Winery
- A case of Red Hots candy and a case of Chewey Atomic Fireballs from the Ferrara Pan Candy Company
- A case of Organic Four Cheese and Organic Garden Marinara Sauce from Pastorelli Food Products
- Two dozen Blackhawks’ cupcakes from Abundance Bakery and 2
- Three cases of Red Felt beer from the Goose Island Brewery
- And because Vancouver is hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics and the two cities have the Olympic Movement in common, the wager will also include a selection of Chicago 2016 gear in honor of the City’s bid to host the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Vancouver is wagering these local products:
- Two Cases of Granville Island Brewery beer, some Cherry Stout from Storm Brewing and a case of Molson Canadian from the Burrard Street Brewery
- A box of Bad Girl Chocolates
- One case of smoked BC salmon
- A box of Que Pasa Hand-Cut Organic Corn Tortilla Chips
- One pound of dried wild morels from Pacific Rim Mushrooms
- One case of Gourmet Vegetarian Blueberry Sauce from Thai Princess and
- A generous package of Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games gear and several City of Vancouver umbrellas in the Canuck colors (Blue & Green).
“I want to congratulate everyone in the Blackhawks organization on the team’s performance during the regular season. We’re proud that they represent our city. We’re all looking forward to a great series starting tonight,” Daley said.